This applies to multiple Wasp products that integrate with QuickBooks: Labeler, WaspTime, CountIt.
Sometimes when a Wasp product tries its initial connection to QuickBooks to access its data, it gives a message that either Quickbooks is not running, or the Company file is not open. The expected Application Certificate prompt from QuickBooks never appears, so you are unable to grant access.
1. You will need to enable UAC in Windows to get QB to prompt to access the data. Control Panel, User Accounts, Change User Account Control Settings, set to Always Notify, OK. After this procedure, this setting can be changed back to the original setting if desired.
2. If needed, quit both QuickBooks and the Wasp program.
3. For the initial connection, you need to be logged into QuickBooks as an admin, and in single-user mode. Launch QuickBooks, log in as an admin, and set it to single-user mode. After the connection has been made in this procedure, you can return to non-admin and multi-user mode.
Note: Regarding the Windows feature "Run as Administrator", either both QB and Labeler must be run that way, or neither should be run as admin. If they are different, Labeler will not be able to detect and communicate with QuickBooks.
4. Launch the Wasp program and attempt the QuickBooks connection again.
5. You should receive an Application Certificate prompt from QuickBooks. Click the 3rd radio button "Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open".
If you are using WaspTime to export payroll into QuickBooks, also check the box "Allow this application to access personal data...".
Click the Continue button.
6. At this point the Wasp program should be able to access the QuickBooks data.
Intuit's KB article "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on and off in Windows 8, 7 or Vista" says QB 2007 & later are designed to run with UAC on.
Full connection message verbiage:
Could not connect to QuickBooks®.
The QuickBooks® application is not running or there is no company file open in the QuickBooks® application. To Resolve the problem, ensure that QuickBooks® is running and the desired company file is open in QuickBooks®.
If you are running [Wasp product] on w VISTA machine, make sure that the UAC (User Account Control) is turned on.