What does the Wasp MobileAsset Windows Service (WMWS) do?
1. Sets up Windows Mobile/CE devices over TCP port 10006 by transferring program files and library frameworks to the device.
2. Handles MobileAsset PC client license management for the Professional Edition over port 10007.
3. Handles database communication between a mobile device (WinMobile/CE, Android, iOS) and the database server, over port 10008. This includes preparing the stripped-down version of the database for download, and synching changes between the PC database and the mobile device.
4. If enabled, sends emails for alerts and notifications.
Where does WMWS get installed?
The Standard and Professional editions always install WMWS to the PC holding the database.
For the Enterprise edition, WMWS can be installed various ways depending on customer needs:
1. The simplest way is to install WMWS on the database PC/server.
2. If the customer has restrictions on what can be installed on the database PC, WMWS can be installed on a different PC. In that case we recommend installing it on a different always-on server because of the need for reliable communication when working with mobile devices. If that is not available, WMWS can be installed on a PC workstation, with the understanding that if that workstation is not running, WMWS functionality will not be available.
3. If WinMobile/CE device(s) cannot communicate with the main WMWS PC over a wireless network (due to network configuration or restrictions), WMWS can be installed on one or more client PCs, so the device can communicate via a data cable.
How does WMWS get installed?
Standard Edition: This is a single-PC installation, so it always gets installed. Run the MobileAsset installer.
Professional Edition: WMWS gets installed on the PC holding the database. Run the MobileAsset installer. During the installation, at the component checkbox screen, check the box for Database.
Enterprise Edition: As mentioned above, there is a choice of where WMWS gets installed. Run the MobileAsset installer. During the installation, at the component checkbox screen, check the box for Asset Services.