Using a WPL614 printer, you encounter various errors and/or unexpected behavior:
* Printing configuration page, message "Install ink ribbon" appears.
* Auto Calibrating with gap labels results in printer getting set to "Continuous" instead of "Gap". The ribbon takeup spindle spins, but labels do not advance. Display is red with message "No Ribbon".
* DiagTool reports Status: Ribbon Encoder Err.
* Symptoms point to both the ribbon and media/label sensor not detecting properly.
* Platen roller spins freely; gears do not engage.
The platen roller is disengaged. Its black knob has been pulled and rotated away from operating position.
Turn the platen roller knob to the correct position. The spring-loaded knob should snap down into place. If the platen roller's left side bearing sticks, nudge it by turning the roller by hand, and/or gently push/pulling on the roller, until the left side snaps into place.