On later versions of Windows, Microsoft no longer supports earlier versions of SQL Server Express, such as 2005 and 2008 R2, which are included with Wasp products InventoryControl, MobileAsset, and WaspTime.
As a result, Wasp's automated installers fail to install SQL Server Express properly (with no error given), and manual installations of SQL Server Express give compatibility warnings and/or various error messages (e.g. 1935).
To work around these issues, SQL Server 2012 Express can be downloaded and installed instead.
- As noted by Microsoft, Windows needs .NET v3.5 SP1 and .NET v4.x enabled/installed before installation.
- Browse to Microsoft's download page for SQL Server 2012 Express, Service Pack 3:
- Click the Download button, scroll down the list, and put a check in only this file (the 9th file down), then click Next:
ENU\x86\SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe (1.1 GB)
Wasp products MUST use the 32-bit version (x86), and will not work with the 64-bit version (x64). (This is true regardless of whether you have 32 or 64-bit Windows.)
Alternate, direct link to the file:
- Due to the size of the download, it may take a while to complete. Do not change the filename; otherwise the batch file below won't work. Save the file to your PC; don't just run the installer from the download link.
- Download the following zip file to the same location as the SQL installer, extract it, then run the WaspAutoInstallSQL2012Exp.bat batch file (which contains preconfigured installation parameters). You must extract the batch file from the zip in order for it to work properly:
- After SQL Server 2012 Express is installed, the Wasp product's installer will normally see the existing WASPDBEXPRESS SQL instance, and install its databases into it. If you are installing the Enterprise edition of a Wasp product, and the database installer prompts for server connection information and does not automatically fill in the server name, you will need to enter the server name and instance name into the server box, like <server>\WASPDBEXPRESS. The username is sa, and the password is Wasp$07Wasp$07