- As noted by Microsoft, Windows needs .NET v3.5 SP1 and .NET v4.x enabled/installed before installation. These are usually enabled by default.
- Browse to Microsoft's download page for SQL Server 2012 Express, Service Pack 3:
- Click the Download button, scroll down the list, and put a check in only the following file (the 9th file down), then click Next. Don't use any other file.
ENU\x86\SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe (1.1 GB)
Alternate, direct link to the 32-bit file (Std, Pro, Ent):
- Due to the size of the download, it may take a while to complete. Do not change the filename; otherwise the batch file below won't work. Save the file to your PC; don't just run the installer from the download link.
- Download the following zip file to the same location as the SQL installer, extract it, then run the WaspAutoInstallSQL2012Exp.bat batch file (which contains preconfigured installation parameters). You must extract the batch file from the zip in order for it to work properly:
If you don't use this batch file, follow the instructions in the article "Manually installing SQL Server 2008 R2 or 2012 Express" linked below in Related Pages, to manually specify the settings needed by Wasp's software installer.
- After SQL Server 2012 Express is installed, the Wasp product's installer will normally see the existing WASPDBEXPRESS SQL instance, and install its databases into it. If you are installing the Enterprise edition of a Wasp product, and the database installer prompts for server connection information and does not automatically fill in the server name, you will need to enter the server name and instance name into the server box, like <server>\WASPDBEXPRESS. The username is sa, and the password is Wasp$07Wasp$07
Advanced User Info:
The procedure above will work for all editions of the Wasp software (Standard, Professional, and Enterprise) and for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. The following information is optional for advanced users with the Enterprise edition of Wasp software only.
Note 1: The Standard and Professional editions of Wasp products MUST use the 32-bit version (x86) as listed above, and will not work with the 64-bit version (x64) below. (This is true regardless of whether you have 32 or 64-bit Windows.)
Note 2: Enterprise editions of Wasp products can use the 32-bit version (x86), and also have the option of using the 64-bit version (x64), 3rd checkbox ENU\x64\SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe (1.1 GB).
Alternate, direct link to the 64-bit file (Ent only). DO NOT use this for Standard or Professional editions. If you don't know what you have, use the 32-bit one above.
For 64-bit: Use this batch file instead of the one above:
extracted batch file contents
setup.exe /QS /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /ACTION=INSTALL /features=sql,is,tools /INSTANCENAME=WASPDBEXPRESS /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD="Wasp$07Wasp$07" /ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\Network Service" /SQLCOLLATION="SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS"