MobileAsset Web Module Installation
During the MobileAsset Web Module Installation The Web Module checkbox should be selected if you want to install the MobileAsset web module.
After clicking Next you will be asked if this is the only web site on the web server. If MobileAsset will be the only website on the server, click Yes. The Web Module will install with the default settings. If there are other websites on the server, click No. You will need to provide additional information to avoid MobileAsset conflicting with your other websites.
If you do not want the MobileAsset installer to configure the MobileAsset website for you, click No. All website files will be placed on the installation computer in C:\Program Files 86x)\Wasp Technologies\MobileAsset. You will need to access these files and configure the website.
If you want the MobileAsset installer to automatically configure the MobileAsset Website to avoid conflicts with other websites on your server, click Yes. The following screen appears prompting for additional information:
Enter the port number you want to use for the MobileAsset website. Do not enter any text or special characters. Make sure the port you enter is not in use by another application. The default port is 8082. Click Next to continue.
Note for Windows Server 2008 R2 users: If you are installing the Web Module, you may see a message requiring Role Management tool to install or configure Microsoft.net Framework 3.5 SP1.
If you see this message you will need to update the .Net Framework. To do this, use the Role Management Tool to update or upgrade the .Net Framework. Once the upgrade is done, rerun the MobileAsset installation.
MobileAsset Web Module Setup
The MobileAsset Web Module combines the asset tracking tools found in the PC version with the accessibility and convenience of a web-based application. The web module utilizes the same database your PC version does, so if you make changes to your assets on the PC, your users will see those changes in the Web Module, and vice-versa. While the Web Module is ready to use right after installation, there are a few things to keep in mind as you get started.
Accessing the Web Module – After installation you should be able to access the web module by typing http://<webservername>:8082/. If you do not have Microsoft Silverlight installed, you may see a screen similar to the one below, prompting you to install it.
Follow the onscreen prompts to install Microsoft Silverlight. You will need to close and reopen your browser. Silverlight will need to be installed on each client machine that will be accessing the MobileAsset Web Module. You will need Local Admin rights to each machine in order to install Silverlight. Your IT department may be able to perform this installation for you through update services.
Setting Your Internet Options for Maximum Performance - After you open MobileAsset in your web browser, you should take a few minutes to make sure your Internet options are set to allow maximum performance. It is a good idea to perform the following steps prior to using the web module:
• Add MobileAsset to your list of “Safe Sites” – To do this, in your browser go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Sites. Add the web address of your MobileAsset Web Module. MobileAsset Quick Start Guide 21 22 MobileAsset Pro Quick Start Guide
• Check the User Authentication settings on your browser – If your company will be using Windows NT Authentication (see the Security section, below) to log users onto the web module, you can prevent them from seeing the Windows Network Login screen each time they login. Go to Tools > Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Custom levels. The Security Settings screen appears. On the Security Settings screen scroll to the bottom. In the User Authentication section, make sure Automatic Logon with Current User Name and Password is selected. When this option is selected, and your groups/users in the MobileAsset PC application match those in your Microsoft Active Directory, users are automatically logged into the MobileAsset Web Module without having to enter their network login/password.
• Check your ActiveX settings – The ActiveX components are used for printing reports from MobileAsset. Make sure all ActiveX components are set to Enable or Prompt. These are found under Tools > Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > Custom levels.
• Make sure popups are set to open in a new window or tab – On the Internet Options screen – General tab, click on Tabs-Settings. On the Tabbed Browsing Settings screen make sure the options Always open popups in a new window or tab is selected.
• Set your Popup Blocker to Always Allow Popups From This Site – If you have the popup blocker turned on, the first time you use the web module you may see a message that a popup window has been blocked. Select Always Allow Popups From This Site to prevent this from happening.
For more detailed instructions, with screen shots, on completing the steps above, or if you have problems printing from MobileAsset, please see the Troubleshooting section found in the MobileAsset Online Help. To access the online help, open the web module and click Help from any screen.
Security – Groups and users are set up in the MobileAsset PC application. If you need to make corrections/additions to your users or groups, you will need to do so on the PC. There are two ways you can set up users in the MobileAsset PC application to have access to the MobileAsset Web Module:
- Create groups and users using the MobileAsset PC application.
- MobileAsset Automatically Create User Profiles Using Windows NT Authentication: If you are using Windows NT Authentication, you can set up a group in MobileAsset that matches your group name in the Microsoft Active Directory. When users in this group access MobileAsset for the first time their User account will be automatically created and added to the Manage Users screen in MobileAsset (PC application).
Example: You have a group in your Active Directory named My Users and you want everyone in My Users to have access to the MobileAsset Web Module. Create a group with the name My Users in MobileAsset using the MobileAsset PC application. Now when each member of the Group My Users accesses MobileAsset, they will receive the usual Windows Network Login Screen. They should enter their normal network user name and password. MobileAsset will recognize the Active Directory group's name as matching the MobileAsset group name and automatically create a user account for that user. You can then view those user accounts in MobileAsset (Security > Manage Users). Keep in mind that if you change the password on the user's MobileAsset user's account, they will receive the regular login screen and must enter the new password, rather than their network password.
Getting Additional Help – If you need assistance setting up the MobileAsset Web Module, you can refer to the Troubleshooting section in the online help, or you can check the Troubleshooting the MobileAsset Web Module page at the support site. The online troubleshooting page is an update repository of tips for getting the most out of your web application.