While attempting to install or uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (v1709), during the Windows Mobile Device Center Update portion, an error is generated:
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
Installation does not continue.
Cause: Microsoft's release of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update contains a DLL that does not work right.
1. Download, save, and run the appropriate file for your edition of Windows:
2. Run the original .EXE installer of Windows Mobile Device Center (see Related Pages below).
3. After that, if WMDC doesn't run, follow the procedure linked in Related Pages below:
Windows 10 Creators Update: Windows Mobile Device Center message "This app isn't working correctly" or hangs at splash screen
4. Further troubleshooting may be necessary. See "Windows 10 Fix Summary for Windows Mobile Device Center issues (win10fix)" linked below in Related Pages.
1. Wasp Tech Support followed the workaround from this linked MSDN article, and is hosting the altered WMDC installer files.
2. The same error message has been observed when attempting to uninstall WMDC on a PC that already had it installed, then Windows was updated to v1709. At this point it is unclear whether this workaround fixes that problem, or if further troubleshooting is necessary.